Monday, May 2, 2011

Mother's Day Challenge

Mother's day is only a week away! So this week I will be posting every day on something that I like, have been taught, or have been raised to be like because of my Mom.  The first entry is entitled:

"When Mother Reads aloud"

When Mother reads aloud, the past seems real every day;
I hear the tramp of armies vast; 
I see the spears and lances cast;
I join the thrilling fray;
Brave knights and ladies fair and proud
I meet when Mother reads aloud.

When Mother reads aloud, far lands seem very near and true;
I cross the desert's gleaming sands,
Or hunt the jungle's prowling bands,
Or sail the ocean blue;
Far heights, whose peaks the cold mist shrouds,
I scale, when Mother reads aloud.

When Mother reads aloud, I long for noble deeds to do-
To help the right, redress the wrong;
It seems so easy to be strong,
So simple to be true.
Oh, thick and fast the visions crowd
When Mother reads aloud."
Anonymous

Growing up I loved curling up in my mom's arms and listening as her voice carried me away to other worlds, she cultivated an imagination in me that to this day is unquenchable!  She made the stories real, the character's feel like real friends.  She made books more than just a decoration on the shelves to be stared at, they were alive and bursting with life and excitement!!  My passion for writing novels and plays were developed from my Mom's diligent reading of books that made my imagination soar with ideas and character's that didn't just have names to remember them by- they had voices, opinions, joys and sorrows, when they felt pain I felt pain, when they experienced triumph I felt pride swell within me, these books became friends. These stories became stories that will be taught to my children with the same excitement, joy, and love that my Mom has taught me.

4 comments:

  1. Your mother sounds like a wonderful person, Northern Bell! Your decision to honor your mother is such an example and motivation. Thank you for reminding us to not only appreciate our moms but also to honor them and uphold them in front of others as one of the most important and most loved people in our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Miss Cassie,

    Reading this post brought back memories of years past when my mother would read to my twin brother Dan and I before we went to bed. She would even come up with her own stories, some that I still remember to this day. Like your mother, she made the stories real to us.

    I agree completely with Miss Amera. From reading both of your "Mother's Day Posts," I must say that your mother sounds like a wonderful person. What you said in your newer post is so true. Mother's are God's special gift from Heaven.

    God Bless,
    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amera!

    Thank you so much for your comment!! You had my Mom in tears as she read your kind words:) Thank you!
    Mom's truly are the most amazing gifts God has given us:)
    God Bless!
    Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Josh,

    My mom also made up stories at bedtime:) And I have to say, I liked her made-up stories better than the one's from a book:)

    I feel so blessed to know that God expressly chose me to become my Mom's daughter! God is so amazing when He orchestrates things!!!:)
    Thank you for commenting!!
    Have a good night! God Bless!
    In Him,
    Cassie

    ReplyDelete