Thursday, May 5, 2011

Storms of Life


Growing up I hated thunder storms.  The thunder would shake the house and the lightning always struck somewhere on earth each time it's light appeared. 
But my dislike of thunderstorms quickly became null and void- but only through my Mom's help.

When the thunder storms would come I would run into her bedroom and hide under some piece of furniture, my initial reaction was not to be near someone- but to hide under something. 

She would come and seek me out- but leave all the lights off in the room as she pulled up her rocker and set me upon her lap.  We would sit next to the window and she would sing ever so softly.  Every lightning strike would make me flinch and every time the thunder rolled my insides would shake.  But all I can remember now of those times was sitting on my Mom's lap and listening to her voice take away the fear.

Singing became a part of my life, and music in general became a passion of mine.  My Mom's voice- although low and quiet during the storms drowned out any other sound.

And now in the storms of life my Mom's voice is still there, quiet and firm.  Her arms holding me tight and her every word comforting and teaching me that my fears are not justified.  As long as I have my Savior on my side there is no need for worry or fear. 

I love storms now, I'll sit out on the deck and watch them come over the mountains toward us, the lighting that lights up the sky and the thunder that booms no longer terrifies me, but makes me think only of a time when my mom's soft voice and the gentle swaying of a rocker would waylay any fear.

2 comments:

  1. I love storms too. I usually laid on our trampoline and watched as lightning split the sky.
    I can't do that any more though, because our trampoline is broken :(
    I'll have to find a new place to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca!

    Wow, you're braver than I am!!:) I like to watch the storms come from over the mountains, but as soon as it comes over us I'm back in the house and looking out the widow:)

    ReplyDelete