Friday, May 6, 2011

Dreams Do Come True

Dreams become a reality in our house- that is if their reasonable:)  When I was around nine years old I had a birthday party and a small group of friends come over for the day.  One of the games we played I still remember.

This game went as follows:  Each girl was given one sheet of paper, and on this sheet of paper were four squares.  And in each of these squares you were to draw and write what you wanted to be when you grew up.  I found those papers in one of my childhood boxes recently, the scribbled drawings and childlike handwriting has certainly improved with time- but the dreams I wrote down then have become a reality now! 

One of the squares revealed the dream of becoming a writer. 
I never would've pursued a writing career if my Mom hadn't spent hours upon hours listening to me read my writing aloud, helping me edit it, and correcting my spelling.  Everyone in the house was usually busy when I was ready to read my story, but Mom would drop her work and sit down to listen to me.  The short stories I wrote then were cute and childlike- but now that I'm older my stories have grown drastically in size and number!  But my Mom still takes the time to make me realize that my dream to become a writer is a reality.

In one of the other squares I had put to be a Mom- just like mine.  I was talking to one of my friends the other night at church and she remarked how she believed that young girls seem to be born with a desire to have their own family- their own home.  From cradling their baby dolls at 2 years of age, to holding a real infant when the time came.  But before a family comes- all the attributes of being a wife and mother comes first.

  A mom does absolutely everything!!  I can't name off anything that my mom can't do!  Unless it's the obvious- like abiding snakes, rats, sharks, spiders- no woman I know can tolerate these.... these.... well I can't think of any word to describe them- so I'll call them "Shiver Givers.":)

My mom's example for me has never made me once waver in my desire to have my dreams fulfilled.  But she always makes me examine my dreams before she helps me make them a reality.  She has me turn to God, receive His blessing and then she councils me as I walk a new path.  Mothers are truly amazing!!

2 comments:

  1. This is a really good post!
    And yes, I agree. Mothers are amazing. What would we do without them?
    That picture goes so well with this post as well.
    In Christ,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete