Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Home is Where the Heart Is

Today is the second day of my Mother's Day Challenge, the title of today's poem is called

Where Home Is

By Douglas Malloch
 
"We have a cottage by the lake,
A cabin in the hills;
And now and then the car we take
And feel the gypsy thrills
Of tenting here and tenting there,
The joy of camping anywhere.

Of "home" one night the baby spoke;
And then, the babe to tease
(For dads must have their little joke),
I asked her, "If you please,
I'd like to have you tell me what 
Is really home- you have a lot:

"You have Muskegon, by the shore,
And Estes, where you climb;
And there's a tent, intended for
A home at any time;
And there's the house we live in too-
Now, which is really 'home' to you?"

She looked at me with open eyes,
In infant innocence,
And said with something of surprise-
A father is so dense
In asking question such as his-
"Why home's wherever Mama is!"

And always it will be the same;
Her heart the home will be.
She keeps the lamp of love aflame
For wanderers to see.
However far her children roam,
Wherever Mother is, is home."


I love this poem, it is so true for me!!  When I was younger I imagined leaving home and traveling, going and seeing the Eiffel Tower, Buckingham Palace, and watching the sun set over the Atlantic Ocean.  But in all these dreams I always pictured myself returning home, there was no question- I couldn't just keep traveling around- I always returned home.  

Whenever we take trips my Mom usually stays at home holding down the fort and getting some much coveted reading time in:)  But when we return she is right at the door opening her heart and opening her arms the minute we drop all our stuff and get our warm hugs.   My Mom is truly the heart of this home, she so often opens her heart and never closes it- even when things get rough.  Mother's are God's special gift from Heaven, and since they are a gift- take care of her as she takes care of you!!

1 comment:

  1. I love that poem! And, those pictures :)
    In Christ,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete