Monday, July 16, 2012

Drawing close to Him

Hello everyone,

I know it's been a while since my last post, and I'm sorry:(

This summer seems to be flying by! My family and I went on our first vacation in 10 years a couple weeks ago! We visited Niagara Falls, the Creation Museum, and finished it off with a WIT conference in Indiana, Indianapolis. To tell you all the things I learned at that conference would take an entirely different and long post-so we'll save it for later:) Suffice to say I came back with a delightful southern accent after being one of the only "northerners" at the conference:)

I just wanted to post something brief that I've been learning in my devotions, it's been a wild ride this year so far, and still so much more to fill in! God has given His unending grace and shield of protection countless times already, we serve an amazing God! And lately, He has been pressing the need to spend more time seeking Him in my day to day life...I read a story that will illustrate what I'm talking about perfectly:

An appointment with the King

"As the story goes, a traveling evangelist in England in the eighteenth century was asked to appear before one of the most prestigious and influential men in the country.  Many had sought an audience with this rich lord, but only a few were granted the illustrious privilege of his company for an evening.
The evangelist welcomed an opportunity to share a meal with this man who was interested in understanding more about his work for Christ throughout the English countryside.  But as the night waxed on and the clock struck seven, the evangelist rose from the table and declared plainly,
"Thank you for a wonderful evening, but I must be going."
Startled by this man's impertinence and disregard for English custom, the rich lord replied,
"Do you not know that my table is the most highly sought after table in England? I receive hundreds of requests each day to gain my audience. Do you have the audacity to remove yourself before our night is through?"
The humble evangelist looked back toward the rich lord with a confidence in his eyes that was shocking to the wealthy kinglet. And in a very certain tone he said,

"I have an appointment with the Lord of Heaven and earth, and I dare not be tired and I dare not be late."

This story hit home with me as I often think of the times I pull all-nighters to be with my friends, watch a movie with my sis, or simply decide to sleep in in the morning because I don't want to get up.  Now, in my house you do have to get up between 7-8 because we have barn chores to do, but we always try and do our devotions before we get out of bed as a way of starting the day right, with Him at the forefront. 

A lady in my church is being convicted about the same thing, she mentioned that if we had to go to work every morning to check in with our boss- we would never be late, we would never look sloppy, and we would make the appointment-because this man\woman is important....how much more so is God!

When I decide to wake up late and end up going out to do barn chores first-it is a rare day that I go back in the house and put aside time to pull my devotions out.  If I desire my relationship with God to be greater and stronger than any I can ever have here on earth, I have to be willing to abandon my self thoughts, my own agenda and realize that every day is the day He might come home, He is looking for His warriors, His princesses, His servants!

Amy Carmichael once wrote a letter to a group of pastors, asking them if they knew any young woman who could come join her in her work. The young woman must have a passion for Christ and a desire to serve Him with her whole heart. Not just outwardly was she to have this display, but it was to be seen as something deeper that was still just as noticeable." Every pastor replied in saying "Not only do we not have any young ladies like this in our church, we do not know where to find one."

I do not want to stand before God one day and say I held back pursuing Him because of my own agenda, He formed me for His master plan, and although He sometimes may hide the path from view...He always is walking right beside me, waiting for me to turn and actually talk with Him! Not just pray once that day, don't just open the Bible once a day, but pursue Him all day and with all my heart!

Well, that's all for now:) This has been on my heart and I hope it has encouraged you in some way, I know for me, to write it out and see it makes it a great reminder!:)
God Bless!

2 comments: